Quote 1: "I have no grades. I have no diploma. I did not go to high school. I did not even complete elementary school." Said by Ellie on page 73 in paragraphs 5 and 7
Significance 1: This is significant to the fifth question, "What hardships do the characters have to endure as they make their new life?" Because she didn't go to school, she won't be able to attend college to get a well paying job. If she were to go back to school, it would take a very long time before she was able to get a well paying job.
Character Judgement: I have grown to appreciate Ellie as a person who will not let any setbacks hinder her way to living a good life in America. Despite her lack of an education because of the Holocaust, she still aspires to be a teacher, even if that meant her going back to school for a very long time.
Question 1: How would you feel in the situation that Ellie is in?
Quote 2: "Sally and Evelyn become my close friends. The three of us form a solid front against imperious Mrs. Sokol" Narrated by Ellie on page 92, Paragraph 2
Significance 2: This goes off of the 7th question, "How do the Americans treat the characters? (specificly the ones born in America)." This shows that even though these American girls know that their new co-worker is an immigrant from Europe, they still treat her equally as if she were born there. This is not the only example of this, another would be when Judy invites her college friends over for their weekly descussion, and all of them are delighted to have Ellie in their presence.
Personal Connection: I have felt like a stranger in a new place when I changed schools in 3rd grade. I left behind all my friends at that school, and I was super nervous if I was going to fit in and make friends in this new place. Fortunately for me, my outcome was like Ellie's in this one, and when I sat down next to Max on my first day, he didn't recognize me and introduced me to some of his friends, and I instantly felt welcome in that new school.
Question 2: If you had to move to a new place where you didn't have any friends, how would you feel?
STUDENT SURVEYS
16 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment