BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Hello America Final post

Quote 1: "It's late Friday afternoon, barely enough time to reach home before the Sabbath." Narrated in the perspective of Elli. Page 216, Paragraph 1.

Significance: This relates to the 6th question, "How does the character maintain the cultural ties to their homeland?" This is one of the many instances that shows that Ellie is highly religious. She celebrates the Sabbath every Friday and it is crucial that she makes it home on time. She is Jewish, and because she fallowed this religion at home, she was put into Auschwitz, and her father was killed in a gas chamber.

Personal Connection: I can relate to is because I too am religious. I'm no where close to how, religious as Elli in the book, I don't go to church on Sunday's but I'll usually go to a youth group on any Thursday I can.

Question: What religion are you? Do you fallow it strictly?



Quote 2: "I've done it Papa! The first stage of a fervent dream has come true! Papa, I know it is also your dream. I know you want me to get a higher education. I want to do it for you Papa!" Thought by Elli on page 229 Paragraph 6.

Significance: This is in relation to the fifth question, "What hardships do your characters face while making a new life in America?" This, however is not a hardship that has appeared, but one she has overcome. In the beginning of the book, she promised her father that she would fulfill his dream and create a good life in America. This is her first step to overcoming that challenge, and I am sure that there are more that will face her in any possible sequels.

Personal Connection: A similar thing has happened to me only last semester, when my grade in Math dropped to a B. I struggled to get it back up to an A the whole second half of the semester, and just in time for POL's it was back at an A. This was something that I was incredibly proud of myself for.

Question: Has there ever been someting that you have been challenged to do, and over come it (or not). How did you feel after that thing happend?

0 comments: