Prompt C
I think that the story changing wouldn’t be because they had a mom, but on the way that she would act if they did have one. It would solely depend on her attitude. I think that if they did have one, that they would be the same, because I see Atticus as the type of person who would raise his kids the way his wife would have if she hadn’t died. If the mom was more like Atticus in the story, things wouldn’t be much different. They would be raised they way that they are now, and dealt with in the laid back, forgiving way that Atticus has.
If their mom was more like Aunt Alexandra, I can still see no way that they would be much different, seeing as the way that Scout, Jem and Atticus acted while she was around. I think that their mom would be strict, and that Atticus would let them do as they wished within their rules. I don’t think that Scout would change much either, seeing as Aunt Alexandra’s mission was to make Scout more lady like. Having an older brother by that many years would still have her do the same things that Jem always dragged her into, like going to the Radley’s at night, and sneaking out to find Atticus when he had disappeared.
My last reason is that Calpurnia seems like a motherly figure to Scout and Jem. She isn’t afraid to punish the kids for misbehaving, and protects them from trouble like a mother would. An example is the power battles with Scout in the beginning, and when she keeps them indoors when Tim Robinson goes mad. She is just like a mother would be if they had one, and the reason that she is so important in the book is because she is a mother to Scout and Jem. Overall, I don’t think that the story would dramatically change if Scout and Jem had a mother or not.
0 comments:
Post a Comment