Lord of the Flies
Chapter 3: Huts on the Beach
Hideaway
Perspective: Simon
Building those huts by ourselves was hard! Ralph and I were building the huts by ourselves while everyone else played in the water. While we were building our huts Jack came down and the they were talking about him not being able to catch that darn pig again, and they chatted away for a little while about how the younguns were frightened by the beastie and how the shelters might make them feel safer. During their conversation, Jack got this opaque look in his eyes while he was rapt by the compulsion to catch a pig. It was quite frightening. I shuddered and the hut caved in while he was talking, and Ralph looked down, "Sorry." I said, the vicissitudes of building these huts was hopeless without more people to help. Ralph and Jack went down the beach a little bit, and I snuck away into the forest. After the fire, I found a treasure trove of fruit, where I fed some of the younguns. They all tiptoed away and some susurration of thanks could be heard. It made me feel good to help them out. I decided I needed some alone time, so I scurried off into the trees, and I got to a clearing, where the trees were yellow and red. I pulled up on a group of creepers and opened a passage to a secret hideaway. I wiggled through, and my black hairs were sticking to my face as I crawled through to the hideaway. I plopped into the ditch and looked down, my previously pale skin had gotten tan with sunburn, and it stung as I crawled through the creepers. The sound of birds heading back to their roosts, was abundant, and the smell of the blooming candle flowers was overwhelming
0 comments:
Post a Comment