Lord of the Flies
Chapter 4: Painted Faces and Long Hair
He Broke my Specs!
Perspective: Piggy
Everyone has ran off, we are goofing around in the pool, and Jack and the hunters have run off to go hunt pigs, it’s pretty relaxing around here. Simon, Maurice, Ralph and I are enjoying ourselves. The littleuns were off building sand castles. And Roger and some of the other hunters would come and pick on them occasionally, I felt bad for them, they wanted more than anything to go home to their parents. Jack and the other hunters painted their faces today. They are turning into wild animals I tell you, wild animals! We were all having a normal day, when Ralph suddenly freaks out. We ask him what he saw he pointed out at the horizon. He was saying there was a boat, and the others said they saw it too. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t see it. Ralph and the others took off, sprinting toward the edge of the island near the scar. I couldn’t keep up with them because of my asthma, so I tried my best to keep up. He got to the edge of the island, and we noticed that the fire was going out. I couldn’t see that either, so I fallowed them as they bolted toward the mountain. The creepers made it so hard to keep up with them, I started to fall behind, and I soon lost sight of them but I had to keep going. When I got to the top of the mountain, the fire had gone out, and Ralph was yelling for the ship to come back. He was super upset that there were no hunters here to keep the fire going, and that they had let the ship sail off.
As we settled down, we heard chanting, and we looked off the edge of the mountain. There was Jack, along with the hunters, and the two twins, Sam and Eric. Their chant couldn’t be made out at first, but when it became clear it was a rather gruesome cry: “Kill the pig, cut her throat, spill her blood!” I was right, they must be going crazy. They marched to the top of the mountain, and they brought the disgusting pig carcass with them, which they had Sam and Eric carrying. Everyone was ecstatic with the pig being killed and Jack was bragging to a very angry Ralph about how fun their hunting experience was. Ralph was trying to get it through Jack’s thick skull that they let the fire go out, and when he told them that there was a boat, everyone was immediately silent. “We needed meat, and we needed everyone to kill the pig.” Was the only thing that he could say back to Ralph, and I was probably just as mad as Ralph at this point. “We could have gone home!” I yelled at him and some of the kids who had been fallowing him were holding back sobs at this point, Jack was mad at me, and he delivered a quick punch to my gut. It hurt so badly, I whimpered and fell to the ground, he whacked me in the face. My glasses skidded over and hit a rock, “My specs!” I cried, I crawled over to them, but Simon gave them to me first, one of the lenses, was broken. I was so mad at him, “I’ll get you back!” I told him, my words full of malice. He mimicked me in a baby voice, “I’ll get you back.” Everyone started to laugh, I saw Ralph start to giggle. He got mad at himself for laughing, and told Jack off, Jack apologized, but refused to give me some of the meat from the pig they caught. Simon gave me his, or at least tried, as Jack took the meat from me and threw it at Simon and swore, “Eat damn it!” He sat down, and watched Simon eat the meat. This was the night that I realized that things would only go down from here, we were turning into savages, and we couldn’t adjust from our lives in England to suit our new one. No one wanted to work, our lives at home were too laid back for us to suddenly take on this new one. We are slowly turning into savages.

0 comments:
Post a Comment